Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The people have spoken...

and Barack Obama is our president-elect. As I have made abundantly clear, he was not my choice for the top office of our nation and the most powerful job in the world. However, I certainly don't think this is the end of our great country. The beauty of democracy is that we have the ability to elect our leaders, and if we don't like them, there will be elections in another two years for Congress and four years for President. I sincerely hope Mr. Obama surprises me and earns my vote in 2012, because that would be saying A LOT. I hope he does change our country for the better, I just don't feel comfortable that I understand what that change will be and how it will be better, but I will be optimistic. I will pray for him and his family, as well as vice president-elect Biden and his family, and all of the lawmakers as I would for any of our leaders... I pray that they have the faith, courage, and intelligence to do what is in the best interest of our country. I am certainly more worried about a Democratic majority in Congress than a Democratic President. I believe they hold the real power that affects the American people, our rights, and our money. I heard a pundit comment the other day that most presidents are probably shocked at the limited power they really have when they get into office, and I agree with that.

On a lighter note, Matt and I were watching election coverage last night, and we both about spit out our drinks when we saw this... they were breaking down what Indiana voters felt about Obama (too liberal, just right, too conservative), and 4% thought he was too conservative. We about crapped ourselves and laughed at what whack jobs they must be to think that! Crazy Hoosiers (love ya, Rhi! lol) I hope they think he's too conservative, because he isn't pro-gay marriage and not because they don't think his economic and government policies are liberal enough! Yikes!

Now that this election is finally over (thank God), can't we all just get along!? Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, Black, White, Purple, Green... we are all Americans and we all must unite and do our part to keep our country the wonderful, free, capitalistic society our founding fathers laid out for us in 1776. It's the American dream...

2 comments:

Amy said...

Amen. I could have written this post almost word for word as it sums up how I feel very well!!

Miss Lord of the Pageant said...

No, people from Indiana tend to err on the retarded side. Aggrivates me to no end. I'm actually surprised we turned blue this year. If you look at the map 80% of the counties voted for McCain, but the most populated parted of the states voted for Obmama and a county with over 500,000 people beats a county with like 10. :)

And you are in the same boat as Merlin- she calls herself a liberal Republican. And from what it sounds like, you guys are Barry Goldwater republicans. Socially more liberal, fiscally more conservative, and logical about foriegn affairs.

Barry Goldwater was the best Democratic Republican in history.