Thursday, November 6, 2008

Oxymoron?

I am a Republican. If you look up the Republican Party in Wikipedia, it states, "Today, the party supports a conservative platform, with further foundations in supply-side fiscal policies (check) and social conservatism (maybe half a check)." So, maybe I am only half a Republican. Or, maybe I am a Libertarian. According to Wikipedia, "The political platform of the Libertarian Party reflects the group's particular brand of libertarianism, favoring minimally regulated, laissez-faire markets (check), strong civil liberties (check), minimally regulated migration across borders (no check), and non-interventionism in foreign policy that respects freedom of trade and travel to all foreign countries (no check)." I won't recite any more political party platforms for you, but suffice it to say that I don't favor the Democratic Party, Green Party or Constitution Party either. I guess I should classify myself as Independent.

It's hard to stereotype people into a group. When many people thing of Republicans, they may think of wealthy, white America and right-wing Christians. Well, I am not wealthy and I am not right-wing. I believe in the government and economic policies of the Republican Party, but I am also pro-choice and pro-gay marriage. Yes, not gay civil unions, but gay marriage. I am also Catholic, and my religion teaches against abortion, gay marriage, and stem cell research. But, here's the thing... the Bible wasn't written by God, it was written by man. And, it is my firm belief that God creates all of us - gay, straight or somewhere in between - and loves all of His creatures the same. I just can't believe that He would want us to judge and not allow two people who truly love each other to enjoy the bond of Marriage under His Holy Covenant. But, that is for the Churches to decide. And, one of the beauties of America is the separation of Church and State. So, let's take the religious factor out of it. The fundamental principle of our country is that ALL men are created equal and have certain UNALIENABLE rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. So, why does that exclude gay men and women from marriage? I don't know. I get the family thing, but I just happen to know so many wonderful gay Americans that would certainly outlast 50% of American marriages and be wonderful parents. Some of them already are, because they once tried to conform and live a straight lifestyle. I think if kids have two loving parents, that's better than one or none, despite the sex. But, I agree that they need to have someone who is very involved in their lives of the opposite sex of their parents, as well. Anyway, all of these thoughts came about today due to Californians passing Proposition 8 banning gay marriage. That's fine if the Church does not want to marry gay people due to doctrine, and I hope that changes for all the religious gays who want to be married with God as the center of their marriage, but I don't think the government should deny its citizens that right. I understand the argument that marriage isn't a governmental institution and it was created by God, BUT may I remind you, a heck of a lot of people get married by the government and not the Church.

To quickly address the abortion issue, I am personally pro-life. I could never have an abortion, and I do believe that it is a form of murder, but as long as we have the death penalty, we should not make abortion illegal. I don't think it's my right to tell another woman she shouldn't have an abortion. You never know what it's like to walk in the shoes of someone else. Not to mention, women will still have abortions and have been for years before Roe vs Wade. It will become a black market health procedure and probably a lot less safe for the woman.

So, that's my political rant for today. I guess I'll just keep considering myself a moderate conservative until I invent my own political party that encompasses all of my crazy views on life. :)

No comments: