Friday, November 5, 2010

Camp Anawanna...

...we hold you in our hearts, and when we think about you, it makes me wanna fart... It's "I hope we never part," now get it right or pay the price.
Think Anawannawanna, speak Anawannawanna, live Anawannawanna, Ug!

Man, I loved that show (and just about any show circa late 80s/early 90s on Nickelodeon... "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" and "Hey Dude" anyone?).

I am not going to Camp Anawanna, but I am going to Camp Stars this weekend! Holler - two days at a really amazing camp with a group of 12-13 year old girls, glittery nail polish, glow bracelets, arts and crafts, ropes course, and general tomfoolery. Unfortunately, they will all be there for a serious reason... the loss of a close family member or friend. Through the Junior League of Atlanta, I began volunteering at Hospice Atlanta last year. Due to scheduling, I was unable to attend camp last year, so I am super excited to go this year. Ironically enough, I was 12 when I lost my dad to cancer, so I really feel like I'll be able to relate with these girls. Some of them may be more "fresh" in processing their loss, and others may have been coping with it for several years. But, what an amazing thing to be able to bring them together so that they know that there ARE other people going through this, and yes, you can get through it. My mom lost her dad when she was only 14, but I did not know any other kids who'd lost a parent when my dad died. I'm really excited to be able to share this experience with them. I'm not a counselor and it's not my job to try to get them to talk about anything... I'm just there to foster a good time, but should any of them ask, I will gladly share my story and let them know that as hard as it can be at times, life goes on and more than ANYTHING, that's exactly what their loved one would want for them.

I was checking out the camp's website yesterday, and this is NOT the summer camp I went to once as a kid thanks to a scholarship from the Mandarin Garden Club... I was a budding conservationist back in the day (shout out to Camp Wekiva near Jamlando!). The cabins are climate controlled and I believe have attached bathrooms (I hope so, because I just realized I didn't pack any rubber flip flops! and I don't want to be walking any girls to the bathroom at 3am in 30 degree temps). The entire camp is completely accessible for kids of all abilities and has a fishing lake, kayaking lake, ropes course, zip line, playground, soccer/baseball/softball field, basketball court, tennis courts, library, arts and crafts building, arts building (for dance, theater, etc), ceramics room with wheels and a kiln, and even a radio station! That doesn't really even begin to cover it. It is amazing. The camp is a non-profit and partners with dozens of organizations to provide camps for kids with serious illnesses, disabilities and other challenges. So awesome.

So, that's what I'm doing this weekend... and then maybe hitting up adoption day for our favorite golden retriever rescue when I return on Sunday. Now that Matt is home (yeah!), we're thinking about getting a dog. I had an event after work the other night and came home to him laying in bed reading a book about dog training. Have I mentioned how much I love that guy? He is the best. Hope you all have a fabulous weekend!

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Camp Wekiva was right next to my house! So fun. You will be such a great resource for those sweet girls. Take some notes for me so I know what to expect when Madelyn gets that old!

Sara Brown said...

You're awesome! Have a great time.

ty said...

Donkeylips. Absolute fave.

Amy said...

Hope your weekend is awesome! And fun about the dog possibility - Gold Retrievers are my fave. Since Easton is allergic I live vicariously through our friends who got one last year for Christmas!

Kristin said...

Such a great camp! Hope you have fun!!

Alyse said...

Oh awesome! You had posted already about it! Sounds really neat, and you would be the funnest!!