Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Musings for the day...

Any other CrossFitters out there? I just joined last week, and so far, I am liking it. I much prefer to be in a structured environment when working out, rather than doing it on my own. I've had enough experience in the gym and with a trainer to know what to do, I just get bored (and unmotivated) easily, so it's much better for me to do classes or to have someone to push me and hold me accountable. Enter CrossFit North Atlanta. The basis of CrossFit is doing workouts that are designed around the movements you do in every day life. Generally speaking, they are short, extremely high intensity workouts that encompass exercises that activate your metabolism and fat burners for longer than say a 30-minute run would. Last night, we did a workout where you had to do as many as you can in 12 minutes - 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 overhead squats, and a widowmaker. (Not that you care, but I did four rounds plus 5 pullups, 10 pushups, and 2 overhead squats). I am still doing instructional classes, so we did a lot of stuff before that, but that was the workout of the day. It seems sort of counter intuitive that you'd only workout for around 30-45 minutes, with only about 15 minutes of that being really high intensity, but looking at the folks in the gym, I'd say it works. I'll keep you posted.

Matt and I hit up the mall for a bit on Saturday, which is something we had not done together in a LONG time. He needed to exchange the sport coat I bought him for Christmas, and I needed to make a return and continue my search for skinny jeans. Well, we certainly picked the right day! We returned his sport coat, which I paid around $120 for and got him a Calvin Klein suit (regularly $550) for $225!!!! and a Ralph Lauren camel colored courderoy sport coat (that looks sooooooo good on him, I mean, complete stud ladies - regularly $275) for $60! SCORE! Then, I picked up skinny jeans (thanks Jessi!), a blazer, two cute tops and a cardigan at Banana on the cheap, thanks to a 25% coupon they handed me when I walked in the store! DOUBLE SCORE!

We are heading down to Florida this weekend for one of my bestestestest friend's wedding! Dai and Andrew are an awesome couple, and I am so happy to finally see them tie the knot. I also cannot wait to hang out with some of my favorite people, several who I haven't seen in entirely too long. It's going to be an amazing time!

I bought a mirror from Kirkland's Outlet for $15 in December. It was a very cool shape but pretty ugly. It finally got nice enough a few weekends ago for me to get outside and spray paint it, and it's now hanging in our foyer. For a total of $20 (mirror plus spray paint), it was quite a steal. I will post before and after pictures soon.

The weather is finally starting to feel like spring, and I am beyond excited. And, that's all of my musings for the day. xoxo!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I want to know more about Crossfit- I'm going to have to see if there's any gyms here. Have a fun weekend with your friends!

Jessi said...

Yea for the skinny jeans! Glad you finally found some.
I still have to do my CA post...but thanks for the tip on Lynmar...We went and it was fantastic! Have a great weekend!

Heather said...

How about your gators making it into the field of 65?!!!