Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring is Here!

Lots of things point to the arrival of Spring besides just the calendar... my allergies are acting up, we spent the entire weekend outside, 10th Street by Piedmont Park was a parking lot on Sunday, and baby fever is in the air (my newphew, Brody Shane, will be delivered via C-section one week from today and Madelyn Grace is due on April 25... but we just know she's coming early)!

On Saturday morning, Matt and I picked up Matt and Jenny and then met up with Matt and Jenn down at Serenbe. Did you keep up with all those Matts and Jennifers? :) What a neat place! Serenbe was originally founded by a couple who owned a few restaurants in Atlanta (Pleasant Peasant and the daughter of the owner of Mary Mac's Tea Room). They bought their first 60 acres of land in the early 1990s and ended up moving down there and renovating an old horse barn into the Serenbe Inn. The Inn is still there (and is beautiful), and several other partners became involved and developed a sustainable community including homes, shops, restaurants, and other services. From April to October, there is an Organic Farmers Market with produce and other goods from the local farms, and the restaurants' menus are largely based on what is in season.

We ate at The Hil restaurant and then headed down to the Inn. You drive past pastures with horses, cows, and donkeys, a lake stocked with fish, and we even heard some roosters crowing. We found some pretty areas to take pictures of Jenn with her baby bump (and Matt, too). Jenn and Matt just got a new Canon Rebel camera, and Jenny is our resident photographer, so I acted like a second shooter with Matt and Jenn's camera. Below are two pretty decent pictures I captured. I've never used a "real camera", and I think I am addicted. I've always wanted a big girl camera, but now I REALLY want one! I hinted to Matt that he should get me one for my birthday... okay, it wasn't so much a hint as a strong suggestion. ;)

How freaking cute is her belly!?


Matt M. snapped this one of the girls.

While at the Inn, we discovered that they had a trampoline that was set in the ground. I had a fantastic time playing on that, and Jenny caught some pretty funny pictures. I'll have to post a few when she uploads them. The boys found some balls and bats and such, so they just had a grand old time. The weather was gorgeous, and we're already looking into renting a cabin for some time in the fall when Madelyn is a little older. There are a few good hikes around there, and I wouldn't mind toting a little one in a Baby Bjorn part of the way to burn some extra calories! :)

When we got back to A-town, Jenny and I had to run some errands to grab supplies for the Baby Shower/Brunch we're throwing Jenn this weekend! I'm super excited. I think it's going to be really cute and classy... and we're having Bloody Marys (I LOVE a good Bloody Mary) and Mimosas (virgin ones for the prego, of course). It's also my birthday, and I really couldn't think of a better way to spend it than honoring my best friend and my new "niece". Aunt K is just a bit excited about Madelyn's arrival. I'll post a recap and pictures next week.

Yesterday, Matt and I took advantage of the gorgeous weather and headed to the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area and spent about 3.5 hours hiking the trails. I think we figured out we ended up traveling about 7 miles, and it's hard to believe that in some of those areas, you're practically in the middle of Atlanta. We had lunch on Sope's Creek where there's a lot of rocks and white water. It was so peaceful looking down stream (looking the other way there's a bridge, but you can't even hear the traffic because of how loud the water is). We've been looking into getting me a mountain bike, but just haven't found the right one on Craig's List, so we decided we'll just get a cheap(er) one from Target or Walmart or something. I'm pretty excited, because the trails looked fun. There are a lot of steps (natural ones) and elevation changes. I also want a bike just to be-bop around in the city and be able to ride to Piedmont instead of driving.

It was a gorgeous weekend, and I feel refreshed. I miss Matt already, and it's getting harder every Monday morning instead of easier. I guess it's the reality that this is our reality. I just hope and pray his company gets some work here by the end of the year and he gets assigned to it. I miss my husband.

UPDATE on two fronts: H&M is giving me a full refund. Memere is getting out of the hospital today! She will be doing dialysis frequently, but I haven't really gotten the details yet.

4 comments:

The Marden Family said...

What interesting info about Serenbe! You're so good at doing your research. Can't wait to play on Wednesday :)

Amy said...

What a fun weekend... and your pictures looks great! I swear, once you try an SLR camera you never want to go back to anything else. I'm glad to hear Memere is being released from the hospital... we'll keep her in our prayers!

Heather said...

Sounds like such a fun weekend! The pics are great, spring is definitely here, my allergies are acting up too! Hope yours get better soon!

Katie R said...

How fun! I can't wait to get up there and check out all these places. (And great job with the camera!)