Monday, December 22, 2008

Calves

Not as in baby cows, but as in the lower part of your leg. Yes, calves. Mostly everyone has them, but some are skinnier than others. Mine apparently do not fall into that category. I am not normally a very trendy person, but ever since riding boots hit the scene last year, I have been dying for a pair (okay, not really dying, but maybe pining away). However, considering it took me a few years to find a pair of tall black boots that fit, I knew it wouldn't be an easy task. Now, looking at me, one doesn't immediately think, "Oh, she's got big calves." But, apparently I do. Big calves and small feet. Mind you, I am not a large girl - 5'3", 127 lbs, size 2-4 in clothes, size 6 in shoes... size "extra large shaft circumference" in boots.

I ordered three pairs of gorgeous riding boots from Piper Lime... none fit. These lovely Frye boots came reeeeeeeaaaaaalllllllly close.


And, they smell like heavenly leather. I think that's why they cost so much (don't tell Matt). I told him I was interested in some boots that were $300. But, that's what I was buying myself with my bonus and the rest was going into savings. He asked if these were the $300 boots, and I just said no. I think we can leave it at that. lol

I would need to have them stretched just a half inch or so to be perfect (right now, they slouch at the ankle because they don't quite come as high up on the calf as they should). However, I am expecting the arrival of a pair of J. Crew boots (at a much cheaper price) this afternoon. They make "extended calf" boots. Yes, that's right. What a horrible name. Can't we just call them boots for girls with athletic calves? Because, that would make me feel much better. I just hope they fit!

Disclaimer: I realize there are plenty of things going on in this world that beyond dwarf my inability to find boots that fit my "athletic" calves. But, this is my blog and I want to whine about boots. :) However, to do some good in the world, please go to the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital website and make a donation (or to your favorite charity). In trying times like these and espeically at this time of the year, dig a little deeper to help those in need when you have been blessed with good fortune.

***UPDATE: They fit!!!! I'm pretty sure I can even wear them over skinny jeans. God bless J.Crew. lol***

2 comments:

Sara Brown said...

oh babe...I feel your pain. It's especially difficult now that the trend is tucking your jeans into your boots! Seriously, it's impossible. Sigh...

Good luck with your search and have a wonderful Christmas with your new hubby:) xo

AEOT said...

I hear you on the calf thing. It's so annoying! I found a great pair at LL bean. If you order the wide width (which I don't need but works well with a thicker sock), the calf is also wide. I got a pair this fall in the lighter brown and love them. I'll order the dark brown and black when they go on sale this winter.