Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Funemployment

I was laid off on Monday, which was not entirely unexpected and not exactly dreaded, either.  A lot of people have been saying how sorry they are, but I don't think anyone should feel sorry for me, because I sure don't!  I loved the people I worked with and my company was a good company, but I was not happy in the work I was doing.  I didn't feel any sense of fulfillment or accomplishment.  I've come to realize in my short, illustrious six year career that I need a job in which I feel like I am doing something, whether that's creating something or making a difference in someone's life.

So, I'm taking my extended paid vacation (okay, it's not really that long, but I'll take it) to figure out what I want to do when I grow up with my life.  I have a long list of things to do while I'm not working, besides the obvious of finding a new job, so I will definitely keep busy.  I'm also planning to create an LLC that will allow me to do contract work and consulting in commercial real estate, and also do some pageant coaching, which is something I've thought about for a long time.  I've done coaching before but never officially as a business.  So, if you know of anyone who needs a pageant coach, holler!  I have a lot of good insight and resources and have worked with girls in MAO and USA with great results.  I can coach everything from image to presentation to interview to fitness/nutrition.

I'm also seriously considering a career change and have been for some time.  I wanted to be a doctor for most of my life.  Toward the end of high school, I began to talk to doctors and every single one of them said not to do it if there was anything else I could see myself doing.  Instead of choosing something else in the medical field, I just went completely away from it.  I still have a passion for it, but would want to do something where I'd have patient interaction but combines my business background.  So, I'm thinking about medical device sales too and am trying to set up some meetings with people I know in that field.

We shall see... the possibilities are endless!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Great attitude, K! Enjoy your vacation!! I have a couple of friends here in Boise who work for Stryker (they did my plate in my femure :)) They do really well and though it can be a busy/irregular job, they like what they do a lot and get to interact a lot with physicians and observe some really cool procedures. Good luck... looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks!

melissa said...

I love your positive outlook! I must confess, I'd skip out of the office if I was laid off. Like you I love the people I work with but have no passion for the job. I'm excited for you and all the possibilities that lie ahead!

Meredith Williams said...

Kristin, I'm so excited for you in this new phase! You will be SO good at helping others in some way :) Can't wait to see what God unfolds!

Chic Coles said...

Kristin good luck with the new you.Keep us posted.

Jessi said...

I believe things happen for a reason and I hope the reason here is to help you find something you enjoy doing!! This frees you up for brunch or lunch....maybe last week of this month? We'll be out of town for a week and hopefully it will be warmer for little man to be out.
James is kinda in commercial real estate and thee could be some opportunity there.