Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Jack and Jill

...went up a hill to fetch a pail of water.  Okay, wrong Jack and Jill... this is of the bathroom variety.  Boy, did we Matt bust our his butts on this project.  Okay, so he did most of the work, but it's not like I just stood around and looked pretty.  In fact, I can assure you that for the last few days of this project, I was anything but pretty.  Going to bed with wet hair, no makeup, and paint covered clothes = hot mess.  I did important things like picking out granite, tile, sinks, faucets, mirrors and paint... and painting and cleaning.  He did the easy stuff like demo, laying tile, grouting (I grouted too... kinda like icing a cake), installing faucets, switching out light switches and outlets, reinstalling toe board, changing out door knobs and hinges and helping to paint.  You know, just a few things here and there.  (Speaking of door knobs, if you remember this post, you can see we decided on antique bronze.)

Overall, the project went well and came in right at budget (okay, I don't think we had a budget but we were happy with the cost).  We kept the cabinets and shower insert, even though I hate those things.  At some point (maybe when we have our kitchen done), we'd like to get new cabinet doors and drawer fronts to spruce it up, but the boxes are fine.  We'll probably just leave the shower insert since it's an upstairs bathroom and it's functional.  We did replace the shower head and faucet handles and soaked everything else in CLR to remove the lime and rust, and it looks good as new!  The light fixtures also remained since they looked good.  They aren't necessarily what I would have picked, but I'll take the cost savings.  Matt pulled out the medicine cabinets and patched the dry wall and everything else was cosmetic... like putting lipstick on a pig... and maybe a little botox.  We got the granite and tile at Home Depot, and I can't remember the styles/colors but if you want to know, just leave me a comment and I'll look at the receipt.  The paint is Behr Silver Drop in satin (never again will I paint with anything higher than eggshell sheen... I know they say satin or higher for bathrooms but no.no.no.no).  Faucets were from Overstock.com.  Mirrors, TP holder and towel rings from Home Goods.  Replacement handles and showerhead in bath from Home Depot.  I still need to add a little bit of decor, but without further ado.  (Please pardon the price tag on the mirror... they're a bit smaller than I wanted so I wasn't sure if I was going to keep them but decided just to go with it, i.e. I didn't want to take them down, return them, find new ones and then have Matt hang them again).



Both sides of the bathroom are identical, so only one is pictured.


We laid the tile in a brick pattern since our bathroom is looooong and narrow.  We didn't want a straight line going all the way down the bathroom.  (Plus, a brick pattern makes it a lot easier to hide mistakes.)


Edited to add: duh, before pictures!  These aren't that telling but you can get an idea of what we were working with - stained laminate countertops, cheap (leaky) faucets, stained linoleum floors that were peeling up at the edges, builder grade plain mirrors, etc.  Not horrible by any means, but I must say that the below pictures make it look better than it was "IRL".




2 comments:

Jenn said...

Ohmigosh what a HUGE difference! I can't wait to see it in person on Friday. Also- I want to know about that CLR stuff. I think a few (read: all) of our bathrooms could use that...

ButterYum said...

Fantastic! Really big change.

:)
ButterYum