Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Happy Birthday to my Momma

"All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother."
-Abraham Lincoln


Today is my Momma's birthday. I can't say her age, because a lady never tells, but she turned 50 two years ago. ;) haha

I love my madre (or, modge... said like madre with out the "ray" sound at the end). I can't even imagine (and never want to experience) what it was like for her to lose her husband when she was only 36 and with three young children to raise. We became very close, because I became her husband... the best I could do at it, anyway. Although she was always my mom and I *mostly* listened to her and followed her wishes, we became more of equals that most parents and children. We have a very strong friendship, and I tell my mom almost everything. It's an odd few days if we don't talk. When we go longer than 2 days without speaking, it feels very weird to me.

I often said I didn't want to be like my mom when I grew up. Not that I don't admire her, but I don't know... I guess it's that rebellion thing. Well, I am my mother in so many ways. I definitely got her common sense, a lot of her looks, facial expressions, hand gestures, the ability to turn a 2 minute story into a 10 minute story (you really MUST have every detail), confidence, and the list goes on. And, you know, it's not so bad to be like her, after all. We're definitely two different people, but it really is amazing to see how much you are shaped by those who raise you.

Just some random memories I have of my mom... when I was 14 or 15, I had my heart broken for the first time. And, man, I was a mess over it (seems so silly now, doesn't it!?). My mom was working full time and raising us kids. But, I'll never forget one night when she came home from work, and I'm sure she just wanted to eat dinner and relax, but she swept me up and took me shopping. It didn't mend my broken heart, but what high school freshman doesn't love the mall? And, we didn't shop together much at all, so I just remember it being just what I needed at that time to distract me. I also remember being a kid and getting sick in the middle of the night... even though her room was down the hall, it amazed me how she always heard us and got up to sit with us by the toilet. Also, when I made Varsity Cheerleading as a sophomore and won our high school pageant, I just remember her joy for me and how good it felt for her to be so proud.

Anyway, I am blessed to have a mother who is also one of my best friends. I love you, Mom! xoxo

3 comments:

Prissy Southern Prep said...

I can totally relate to this post. I adore my mama. She is the classiest lady ever. So, Happy Birthday to your Mom! =) I am sure if you are like me, you're hoping she has the best birthday ever!!

The Marden Family said...

This almost made me cry. I can only Hope Madelyn feels this way about me when she gets older. You are such a good daughter :)

Heather said...

What a sweet sweet post! Happy belated birthday to your mama!