Monday, March 28, 2011

Paleo Cake?

Yes, you can make a "paleo" version of cake.  Since my birthday is tomorrow and we had dinner guests last night, I decided to try a cake for dessert, knowing I'd have leftovers to eat on my birthday (and for breakfast and a snack until it is gone).  I went to one of my favorite paleo/primal websites, The Food Lovers Primal Palate, and found this lovely recipe for a dark chocolate coconut cake with dark chocolate ganache.  I do not miss grains or sugar eating this cake.  It was so good, even my guests had seconds and they are not paleo freaks like me!  You honestly would not know that this cake doesn't have grains or sugar (well, technically there is sugar in the chocolate chips, but not compared to conventional).

Some comments on the recipe:
-I used almond butter instead of hazelnuts in the middle.  I thought the directions were a bit weird in that it had you refrigerate the frosting, but I did it anyway.  I'm guessing you're only supposed to refrigerate it long enough to thicken it a bit, but I ended up having to melt it again over a double broiler.  Next time, I'd just go ahead and let it cool a bit on the counter then frost my layers.  It's still "slick", so you could hold the layers together with toothpicks and refrigerate the cake for a little bit to harden the frosting.
-This cake would be great if you added fruit to the middle... like strawberries.  Yum.
-The ganache didn't harden very quickly for me, so I refrigerated the cake for a little bit to harden it.
-I added halved strawberries to the top of the cake.  Very good.  And pretty.  But, I don't have a picture.  I will take one when I have a slice after dinner and post.  :)

Do yourselves a favor and check out their blog.  Lots of delicious recipes!

ETA: the pic... not a great one (or a perfect piece of cake) but delicious... that's organic whipped heavy cream on there, you know, because it needed a little something extra.  ;)

2 comments:

EFT Manual said...

Yummy! That dessert cake looks very delightful!

Anxiety Cures said...

Oh my! That cake looks delicious and gorgeous! I bet it taste so good and heavenly.