Monday, February 27, 2012

Paleo Applesauce

I was getting ready to do my grocery shopping for the week, and I was looking for a good recipe for pork chops when I came across one for pork chops and applesauce (please tell me you read that with a Humphrey Bogart accent, a'la Peter Brady circa 1970 or something... or my family's dinner table any time pork chops and applesauce was on the menu).  Well, I opted for a different pork chop recipe, but I did all of a sudden really want some applesauce.  This is not something I normally crave (and no, unfortunately, I am not pregnant).

So, of course I adapted the recipe (as I do with 99% of what I make... recipes are just guidelines - unless you're baking) and it was delicious.

Paleo Applesauce
-3 lbs organic apples (I used Gala and Granny Smith)
-1/4 c water
-2 tbsp local honey
-1 tbsp agave nectar (and more to taste)
-1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
-1/4 tsp ground allspice
-1/8 tsp cinnamon

Peel, core and roughly chop the apples.  Put all of the ingredients into a pot and stir.  Bring to a simmer, stirring occassionally.  Reduce heat to low and cover for about 20 minutes.  When apples are falling apart when stirred, remove from heat and stir/mash with a fork to your desired consistency.  Add more agave as needed (depends on the acidity of your apples).  Serve warm or cold.  Eat, and feel like a kid again!

No comments: