Thursday, August 4, 2011

17 years

It's almost like he was never here.  But, he was.  And, I have many a fond memory of our time together.  But not enough, not nearly enough, and they are fading.  His life was cut way too short, and in a way, so was part of mine.  So many things that he's missed out on, and as a result, I've missed out on.  He doesn't know that after that first, fairly miserable year for me in Jacksonville (sixth grade), I went on to make a lot of friends, make the varsity cheerleading squad, have my heart broken, break some hearts, win my high school pageant, continue to be at the top of my class, win a team national championship in dance, go to the University of Florida, join a sorority, have the time of my life, meet the love of my life, get married, buy a house, and on and on... Or maybe he does.  Maybe he's not the one that's missed out.  He's with me everywhere I go.  I know it's better Up There.  Maybe it's just us left here that miss out, until we meet again.

November 10, 1951 - August 4, 1994

7 comments:

Sara Brown said...

Kristin....this is such a nice post, and such a thoughtful tribute to you dad. It sounds like he'd be really proud of you. xoxo

Alyse said...

Love you!

Kristin said...

Sweet post. :) You need to start blogging more!!

Katie said...

You have me all teary-eyed on a Friday morning. I have a feeling your dad is SO with you, every step of the way. Thanks for sharing such a heartfelt post.

JMMarden said...

This really was beautifully written. I know he's with you every day even though it may not always feel like it. And he lives on through you and Brandi and Steve every day :)

Jessi said...

Such a sweet post. A great tribute to your dad.

Flooring Contractors Knoxville said...

Hi great rreading your blog