Wednesday, May 18, 2011

CSA

I have been wanting to be part of a CSA for the last few years, but with Matt working out of town, it really didn't make sense for us.  Now that he's back, I knew this would be the year.  We bought a full share from Serenbe Farms, and so far, we're I'm loving it (I don't think Matt could give two hoots).  We are on week three of thirty, and the bounty so far has been full of greens, onions, turnips, radishes, various herbs and this week, carrots!  I knew we wouldn't get through all of the greens, so I blanched several servings of kale, spinach and collards to freeze for later.  Even though we're eating out on Friday night and will be at a wedding on Saturday night, I'm pretty sure we'll get through all of this week's share before I pick up next week's.

Last night, I made mustard dill salmon (fresh dill this week... yummmmmmy) and sauteed bok choi and spinach.  It makes for a great, healthy weeknight meal because it's so quick and easy (well under 30 minutes from start to finish).

Mustard Dill Salmon
-2 fillets salmon (adjust serving size accordingly), about 1" thick, skin on
-Dijon mustard
-fresh dill
-EVOO

Rinse and pat salmon dry.  Grease baking pan/dish with EVOO (or whatever you want) and place salmon skin side down on dish.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Squirt or spoon Dijon directly on salmon and "brush" with the back of a spoon to evenly coat.  Tear dill with hands and apply liberally to top of salmon.  Broil about 4" from burner for 8-10 minutes or until done.

Sauteed Greens
-greens of choice (again, amount depends on # of servings)
-minced garlic (again, to your taste/# of servings)
-EVOO
-red pepper flakes

Wash and dry greens thoroughly.  Rough chop if larger greens like bok choi, collards, etc.  Bring saute pan with about 1 tbsp EVOO to heat over a medium burner.  Add garlic and saute for about 30 seconds to release flavor (be careful not to burn).  Add greens and "toss" until they begin to wilt.  Add red pepper flakes (1/8-1/4 tsp for 2 servings is enough for most palates) and salt to taste.

So easy and yummy, especially with fresh, local, organic produce.  On tonight's menu is a roasted chicken (will probably make an herb and garlic rub and roast it with some onions from the CSA), sauteed dill carrots and mashed turnips.  I didn't even know I liked turnips, but mashed turnips are an amazing replacement for mashed potatoes.  I've got some gorgeous Swiss chard I plan to use in some omelets or sauteed with eggs and bacon this weekend (I really like sauteed greens with eggs for breakfast) and some Chinese cabbage and sugar snap peas that I will make on Sunday with some sort of TBD Asian inspired dish.

If you haven't already jumped on the CSA bandwagon, I highly recommend.  It's important to me to eat locally and organic whenever possible, and at $27 per week, I think this is a great deal.  I do have to supplement some things here and there (right now, fruit), but I don't think I have bought any vegetables at the store over the last three weeks.  I'm pretty sure I couldn't go to Publix, Whole Foods or Trader Joe's and get the same amount of organic produce, let alone local, for that price.  I also love that it's making me try things I might not otherwise and think out of the box with my menus.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Woohoo for local food!! :) It's the BEST!