Thursday, January 19, 2012

An Ode to my Best Friend

Jenn, on your 30th year plus one day of life, I wrote an ode to you. It's also somewhat of a discourse on best friends, but anywho.

We met in college. I don't think you liked me at first. I was pretty indifferent about you, too. We had mutual friends and hung out a fair amount, but I know I didn't have your phone number. My first memory of meeting you is actually going to move your car (affectionately known as White Lightning) from the Hume lot, because I think it was a game day weekend or some nonsense like that in which those who actually reside on campus must give up all rights to football fans. The things we do in the name of SEC football.

Anyway, I digress. A few years passed by and due to circumstances somewhat beyond our control (I like to think of it as fate, or we were single and our friends were all shackin' up... I mean, even Kelly had a boyfriend!), we started to take up with each other a lot more. We quickly learned of our shared love of dive bars, $5 AYCD bourbon nights at Balls, putting Britney Spears on the juke box just to piss people off (mixed in with some good Southern rock, of course), and shaking what our mamas gave us at :08, Gator City, and Market Street. Oh yes, we really did not discriminate when it came to cheap booze and good times. I'm not sure if I was a bad influence on you or vice versa. ;)

From our late nights grew a true friendship based on much more than just bourbon. (Although, bourbon has scored me a husband and a BFF, so I do not discredit the power of the sweet honey brown liquor at all.) I mean, I moved in with you for a summer and you went and found a boyfriend (who became your husband), and I still liked you even when I was walking up to Salty Dog and drinking by myself with the bartender. That's saying something right there.

Since then, we've been with each other through thick and thin. Boy drama, first jobs (and subsequent jobs), roommates in the ghetto city, marriages, babies, attempts at babies. I miss living together and seeing you every day and giving each other massages and pulling each others' hair (we're weird... now I make Matt pull my hair sometimes). But, I love where we are in life. I love that we can share in each others' joys and sorrows, triumphs and tribulations, and all the funny little things that happen in between.

You are more than my best friend. You are my family. I love you, Matt, Madelyn, and Davis like you are my blood. You are there for me when I need you most, and at times when you should be worrying more about yourself than anyone else, you amaze me and ask how I am doing. I will never forget when I called you and you were in the hospital with horrible pain (and later gave birth to that miracle boy), and I was so concerned about you, yet you are asking me how my RE appointment went. What!? Hello!!! You are in the ER!!! But, that's just you. I also love that I know that I can tell you anything, and you won't judge. And, I know you feel the same way by the e-mail you sent me the other day. You know what I'm talking about. ;)

I don't know if everyone has a best friend in their lives like you are to me. But, I sure hope so. If not, they are sure missing out.

Cheers to 30 years. The best is yet to come! (And, by the best I mean the girls trip to NYC!!!! And the rest of it too...) :)














P.S.  I promise to get the pics from your party off my camera and send them to you.  Soon.  :)

2 comments:

Jenn said...

You are the best ever. Seriously. Every girl should be so lucky as to have someone like you as their BF.

Sara Brown said...

Aw...this is a great post. You guys are lucky to have each other! Happy birthday, Jenn!c